With tummy tuck surgery, sagging belly and abdominal cracks are removed and abdominal aesthetics is provided.
What is Abdominoplasty?
There can be many reasons for sagging abdomen problem. One of these is belly sagging after pregnancy. Rapid weight loss after excessive weight gain is also an important reason for sagging abdomen. For all these reasons, sagging occurs in the middle and lower abdominal regions and the process of tummy tuck aesthetics is applied. In this process, excess fat tissue and excess skin in the abdomen are removed, the abdominal wall muscles that tend to become loose are tightened with special techniques, and tummy tuck surgery is performed.
Overweight people usually have a sagging belly when they lose weight quickly and without doing any sports. Belly sagging in women is a situation that makes them very unhappy. This problem can also be seen in men. The main reason for the problem of sagging abdomen is very rapid weight gain and loss. This problem results in deformation of the abdominal skin and abdominal muscles. With tummy tuck surgery, a more fit appearance is provided to the person with a taut and flat stomach.
Who Is Abdominoplasty Applied?
Abdominoplasty can be applied to anyone who has sagging problems in the abdominal region of men and women. Abdominoplasty is an ideal aesthetic operation for people who are overweight and subsequently experience significant weight loss. The greater the rapid weight loss, the greater the sagging of the abdomen and excess skin in the abdomen.
Although sometimes close to normal weight measurements, sagging of the abdomen may occur due to genetics, multiple pregnancy or previous surgeries. Postpartum belly sagging is a common condition. These people may be candidates for tummy tuck surgery due to reasons such as sagging belly and stretch marks in the abdomen.
What Are the Types of Abdominoplasty Surgery?
There are types of tummy tuck surgery, such as full tummy tuck surgery and mini tummy tuck surgery, which are determined depending on the condition of the person’s abdominal problems. Full tummy tuck surgery, total abdominoplasty; Mini tummy tuck surgery is also called mini abdominoplasty.
In cases where problems such as looseness and sagging in the abdominal region are excessive, a large abdominal region is studied and full tummy tuck surgery is performed. Mini tummy tuck surgery does not cover as wide an area as full tummy tuck surgery.
In the process of mini tummy tuck surgery, smaller incisions are made on the groin area compared to the full tummy tuck technique. Abdominal stretching is performed in the area between the groin and the navel; that is, only the area under the belly button in the abdomen is stretched. This surgery is more suitable for people who have problems in the lower belly area. During the mini tummy tuck surgery, the belly button is not touched. After mini tummy tuck surgery, there is a small scar on the area called pubis compared to full tummy tuck surgery. Since the tummy tuck is not performed on a large area in this operation, there is no scar around the belly button.
Full tummy tuck and mini tummy tuck processes can be combined with a treatment such as liposuction if deemed necessary. After tightening the sagging belly, the flattening of the abdomen is achieved and the person gets the appearance of a flat stomach. A significant thinning is also achieved in the waist area.
How is Abdominoplasty Performed?
Although tummy tuck surgery varies according to the type of surgery, it is an abdominal aesthetic operation that is mostly performed under general anesthesia. General anesthesia is used during the full tummy tuck surgery, and sedation anesthesia is used in mini tummy tuck surgery, depending on the patient’s condition. Abdominoplasty is performed with incisions made 7-10 cm below the navel according to the physical condition of the person, to be hidden in the underwear area. Tummy tuck scars are hidden in these areas.
In some people, it may be necessary to aesthetically reconstruct the belly button during tummy tuck surgery. During the tummy tuck surgery, the sagging belly skin is cut first. Excess fat in the abdomen is removed from the body. A tummy tuck is performed on the abdominal skin from top to bottom, and then the sutures are closed and the tummy tuck surgery process is completed. In this surgery, tightening of the abdominal muscle wall is also provided. It also slims the waist area.
How Long Does Abdominoplasty Take?
The duration of tummy tuck surgery may vary from person to person. Because the tummy tuck process is planned according to the sagging problem experienced by the person. Many factors such as excess skin in the sagging belly area, presence of fat, whether or not the abdominal fat will be removed, and the condition of the abdominal muscles are effective during the tummy tuck surgery.
tummy tuck surgery; It may take 3-5 hours depending on the type of operation, the suture technique applied, and the size of the abdominal sagging problem experienced by the patient. While full tummy tuck surgery can take 3-5 hours, mini abdominoplasty can take 2-3 hours. For full tummy tuck surgery, the abdominal area to be repaired is wider.
Inform your doctor about your general health and all the medications you use during the interviews before the tummy tuck surgery. Generally, blood thinners and their derivatives should be discontinued 10 days before tummy tuck surgery. Try not to drink herbal teas during this time. Do not do extreme diets to lose weight before tummy tuck surgery. Follow the right nutrition plan, remember that this will also affect the post-operative recovery process.
Before tummy tuck surgery, it is desirable to avoid smoking and alcohol consumption. Smoking can adversely affect both the tummy tuck surgery and the post tummy tuck process. Your doctor will order all tests and tests required for abdominal aesthetics before surgery. In order to compare the results of tummy tuck surgery, a photograph of the abdominal region is provided.
- After tummy tuck surgery, the abdomen is covered with dressing. A drain is inserted after surgery to prevent blood and fluid accumulation. The drain is removed at discharge.
- Corset use is required after tummy tuck surgery. The abdominoplasty corset that protects the abdomen should be used for the period specified by the physician.
- Since the abdominal region is stretched for 3-4 days after tummy tuck surgery, there is a feeling of tension in this area and this causes you to walk in an inclined shape. In the following days, this tension in the abdomen gradually passes and you start walking upright. Do not force your abdominal area to walk upright in the first days.
- Since the tummy tuck is provided in the surgery, there may be mild pain after the surgery. These pains are controlled with painkillers.
- Dressing practices should be considered after tummy tuck surgery. Some people may also need to use antibiotics for a certain period of time.
- After tummy tuck surgery, lie down with a pillow under your knees and legs bent at the hips for a while. This prevents stretching of the operated area in the abdomen.
- Bathing should not be done for 2-3 days after tummy tuck surgery.
- It is recommended to rest at home for 7 days after tummy tuck surgery.
- The patient can return to social and non-heavy work 7 days after tummy tuck surgery.
- Do not lift heavy items for the first 2 months after tummy tuck surgery.
- Activities such as sports should be left for 2 months after the tummy tuck surgery, with the approval of the doctor.
- Abdominoplasty; In other words, in the process of tummy tuck surgery, dissolving stitches or tissue adhesives are used. This does not require the removal of stitches.
- Incision scars created for tummy tuck surgery become more prominent during the first 3-6 months; but over time, these scars on the abdomen become more obscure.
- It is recommended that a period of at least two weeks pass for sexual intercourse after tummy tuck surgery.
- After tummy tuck surgery, choose a diet that includes foods that allow the intestines to work comfortably and do not cause gas problems.
- Do not forget that it is in your hands to maintain this new abdominal appearance after tummy tuck surgery. Pay attention to your diet and make exercise a part of your life after tummy tuck surgery.