You will always receive a warm welcome to ask any questions related or unrelated with your operation. The gynecomastia problem, which appears in one out of every 3 men, can sometimes be in one breast or sometimes in both breasts. Being the feminine type with large breasts is not a body structure desired by men. With gynecomastia surgery, the male breast form can be brought to a tighter and masculine form.
What is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is the problem of breast enlargement in men, which is one of the leading aesthetic problems today. In the male breast enlargement problem, the testosterone-estrogen ratio in the person’s body changes in favor of estrogen. This imbalance causes enlargement of the breast tissue and causes symptoms of gynecomastia, resulting in male breast enlargement. If breast growth occurs only as a result of an increase in adipose tissue; This type of gynecomastia is called lipomatous. This type is also called false gynecomastia.
The problem of breast enlargement in men can be different in everyone. For this, gynecomastia grading is also divided into 3 stages. In the first degree gynecomastia problem, breast enlargement is less in men. In this case, there is no excess skin or sagging. When gynecomastia comes to the second degree, breast enlargement in men occurs in a feminine way. In this case, there is excess skin on the chest; but no sagging. When the gynecomastia problem reaches the third stage; Breast enlargement in men reaches an advanced degree. Excess skin and intense sagging can be seen.
Why Does Gynecomastia Occur?
An enlarged male breast can be caused by many reasons. In short, there are several answers to the question of what causes gynecomastia. Hormonal causes are at the top of the list of gynecomastia causes. Estrogen is a hormone found in men as well. Excessive secretion of this hormone and low testosterone hormone secretion can cause breast enlargement in men. This imbalance is seen in male infants and adolescence, and this is normal for this period. However, as the age progresses, the continuation of this problem confronts the person with gynecomastia.
This hormone imbalance can be caused by obesity, testicular or pituitary gland tumors, kidney or liver failure, and malnutrition. The incidence of gynecomastia may increase with aging. Because aging can also create a hormonal imbalance in the person and lead to the problem of breast enlargement in men.
Another reason that creates the problem of breast enlargement in men is the drugs used. Long-term use of some drugs used in prostate, cancer and AIDS treatments, some antidepressants or antibiotics may cause male breast enlargement problem.
The incidence of gynecomastia is higher in men who use harmful substances such as alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs than in men who do not. Some steroid-derived substances used to increase sports performance may also pose a risk for male breast enlargement.
Finally, although the probability is very low, substances such as lavender oil and tea tree extract, which are included in some herbal skin and hair products, may cause gynecomastia in men due to the phyto-estrogen they contain when used for a long time.
What are the Symptoms of Gynecomastia?
In the first place among the symptoms of gynecomastia, there is breast enlargement, which is clearly visible. And also; Gynecomastia symptoms such as pain and soreness in the breast, breast tenderness, swelling in the breast tissue, a feeling of mass under the nipple, discharge from the nipple of one or both breasts, fluid coming from the breast, and one breast being larger than the other can also be seen.
Gynecomastia treatment varies according to the type of breast enlargement problem in men, the age and health status of the person. Gynecomastia is not a serious health problem; However, it is a problem that affects the physical appearance with the breast enlargement it creates and makes men very unhappy. Gynecomastia is diagnosed after physical examination and USG are diagnosed.
Breast enlargement in men sometimes goes away on its own; however, if there is a situation that does not go away, the causes of breast enlargement in men should be investigated first and accordingly gynecomastia treatment should be provided.
Permanent treatment for gynecomastia caused by breast enlargement in men can be provided by gynecomastia surgery. Depending on the condition of the person, male breast enlargement, which occurs with an increase in fat tissue, can also be treated with Laser liposuction.
How is Gynecomastia Surgery Performed?
Gynecomastia surgery is performed under general anesthesia or sedation, depending on the technique applied. The gynecomastia operation takes 1-2 hours depending on the man’s breast enlargement problem. If the person has a gynecomastia problem only due to the increase in adipose tissue, only laser liposuction; that is, treatment can be provided by the fat removal method. The laser allows the excess skin to be tightened and set in place. In this way, there is no need for a surgical incision and scar. If gynecomastia also includes hard breast tissue, these tissues are removed with a special tool from the hole where liposuction is made. If the hard breast tissue is too much, this tissue is removed with a small incision made on the nipple.
Open surgery is generally preferred in the third degree gynecomastia type in male breast enlargement problem. In gynecomastia surgery, excess fat and breast tissue and excess skin are also removed. These incisions are then closed with sutures. Thus, breast enlargement is prevented in men and the appearance of sagging breasts is eliminated.
Before Gynecomastia Surgery
- Before the gynecomastia surgery, your doctor will perform the necessary tests and examinations for the operation.
- The use of blood thinners should be discontinued at least 10 days before the gynecomastia operation. For this, share all the medications you use before the surgery with your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you experience a condition such as a cold during this time.
- Smoking and alcohol use is not desired before gynecomastia surgery. For this, smoking should be stopped at least 3 weeks before the operation and alcohol use should be stopped 1 week before the operation.
- You should stop eating at least 8 hours before gynecomastia surgery.
After Gynecomastia Surgery
- It is recommended to rest at home for 3-5 days after gynecomastia surgery. You can return to your social and business life 1 week after the operation.
- Protect your chest from post-surgical impacts, especially the surgical site.
- There may be mild pain after gynecomastia surgery. These can be relieved with pain medication.
- Do not lift heavy loads for 3 weeks after this surgery to prevent breast enlargement problem.
- Doing sports after gynecomastia surgery can cause problems. For this, do not do sports for 3 weeks. After 3 days of rest, light tempo walks can be done.
- After the operation, attention should be paid to the lying position. You should lie on your back for 7 days. Never lie face down during this time.
- You should not take a shower for 3 days after the gynecomastia operation. Do not use excessively hot water when you start taking a shower.
- After the operation, a gynecomastia corset or gynecomastia vest should be worn for 4-6 weeks. Gynecomastia corset is important in terms of reducing edema and swelling.
- After the gynecomastia surgery, activities such as hammam, sauna and solarium should be avoided for approximately 2 months.